Thursday, January 22, 2009

Taste and see Thursday

Hello0000000000000 I'm back! Yes, I love recipes and yes, I love to blog. But lately, I've been trying out lots of new things and lack of computer time for the blog has been pretty dim lately. I have been cooking and taking care of my family though so I should get an award huh?



One thing I've managed to this entire Fall/ Winter is make a soup once a week. I really never intended to do it, but economically speaking it works well and leftovers are usually great, Plus that means I do not have to cook everyday and come up with different ideas. So today I'm going to post my friend Heather's soup. She and I are new friends, well not really. We knew each other in high school, she was one year younger than me. Now I think she likes that she is older than me. It's funny though because I always thought of her as sweet and a nice person in high school but as a typical high schooler I stayed within my class friends. Well Heather and I go to the same church and we both have one boy and girl, and they are both close in ages to play. We both have the same last name now, but we are not related, we both got married on the same day/ same year in the same town. Our birthdays are one week apart, and we happen to go to the same hairdresser that only a few people even know about because this person has no advertising.... How strange huh? I guess this means we are suppose to be friends. Well it's fun now to brag on a friend on this Thursday recipe day so I guess this means I can brag on Heather.

One thing I appreciate about Heather is her genuineness/ realness. What you see is what you get, no pretending to be someone she isn't. I like that quality in friends, and I think once Heather is your friend she is very loyal and will be for life.

One thing I appreciate about Heather is she is always asking our family to do things, like go out to eat, have us over and it always involves food. Recently we've been talking about exercise, but we know food so we stick to doing things involving food. Haha! This recipe I'm posting is a great soup you can eat on a cold winter's day and if you have lots left it freezes beautifully.. whatever that means. I did freeze it and it tasted great. Thanks Heather for your friendship and all the great laughs we have with you... or maybe at you. Just kidding!!

Baked Potato Soup
By Heather

4 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper ( I didn't have this so I used black)
6 cups of milk
8 oz sour cream
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
10 bacon strips, cooked & crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Peel potatoes, then wrap in foil and bake at 350* for 65-75 minutes. Cool completely then cube. In large saucepan melt butter; stir in flour, salt, pepper, some onions & bacon pieces until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes. Garnish with green onions, bacon & cheese.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hey, don't be giving out my top secret special recipe! Just kidding! I am honored to finally make your blog!

Thank you for all the kind words (I think) and I agree, we are so meant to be friends!

Love ya!

Heather

Debra said...

nCongrats Heather for being honored on Tara's blog. The soup looks great and glad to see you back Tara. My blog is suffering the same fate but that is because of work, school and to many irons in the fire. I will grab my 12 potatoes and try this some time soon. I love Potato soup.

Hugs

Jill said...

This looks great, I love potato soup! Can't wait to try it!

Deb said...

Thanks for the posting of the soup recipe. Think I'll give it a try today! ;-)