Thursday, April 30, 2009
My friend Rebekah is a wonderful patient mom of 5. I am glad we've stayed in touch over the years and look forward to seeing her one of these days. While in college, Rebekah invited me and some other Keokuk people to attend a float trip with her campus house. She was going to be near Joplin so i thought I could canoe, (even though I never had done it). Well my two younger people almost drowned on the trip and I survived and fell in love with float trips. I'm thinking I'd like to do that again with couples sometime.
Here's my famous brownies:
Cookie dough brownies
By Rebekah Renard Whitaker
1 pkg Fudge brownie mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 choco chips
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 Cup flour
Glaze: 1 (6oz) choco chips (1 cup), 1 Tablespoon shortening (or oil).
Heat oven to 350*. Grease bottom of 13 x 9 pan. In a large bowl,combine brownie mix, water, oil, and egg. Beat. Stir in 1/2 cup choco chips. Spread in greased pan. Bake at 350* for 33-35 minutes. (Do not overbake) Cool Completely.
In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup margarine, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup;level off. Add flour; mix well. Spread over cooled brownies. In small microwave safe bowl, melt 1 cup choco chips and one tablespoon of marg. on med high. 1-2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Carefully glaze over filling; spread to cover. Store in refrigerator. Makes 36 bars
Saturday, April 18, 2009
1. The sound my kids make when they kiss me. " Mmmmmm then the smacking of lips". I love it.
2. Okay for Laundry, because at least I have little people to fill those clothes and that we have clothes. My heart aches for a friend who doesn't have little ones and wants them. I am thankful to be blessed with 2 healthy ones.
3. I am thankful that I have the world's greatest friends.
4. For lots of good laughs with friends, at myself, at my kids. My sensors are full again!
5. For a great long 11 mile run. I did it and feel proud and humbled at the same time. Boy I'm thankful for a able body to take me that far. I'm not too sore either.
6. For early morning get ups lots this week. Even the days I didn't have to be at the gym at 5:30, I was waking up at 5ish. I like that in a weird sorta way.
7. For great spring like weather.
8. For my 2 year old letting me get some shopping in at the mall Thursday and for Chick-fil-a!
9. My wonderful husband taking the kids for a overnight trip out of town and letting me relax on Friday and even encouraged me not to do stuff around the house. He even wants to do that again!
10. For answered prayer to important things, for some fun surprises, that I know i can run this half-marathon, my weekly menu groceries all bought last week.
I am so blessed, so thankful, and feel privileged to be the mom to Lindsey and Drew, the wife to Mr. Chad and a friend to you all!
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Caramel Rice Krispies Bar
1 (14 oz) bag caramels, unwrapped
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick butter
1/2 sticks butter, divided
10 cups mini marshmallows, divided
10 cups Rice Krispies, divided
Place caramels, sweetened condensed milk, and butter in a bowl and microwave for 3 minuts. Stir until smooth, returning to microwave if not yet melted; set aside to cool.
In another bowl, melt 6 tablespoons of butter with 4 cups of marshmallows for 70 seconds. Stir until smooth and then pour over 5 cups of the cereal; stir until cereal is coated. Place in a greased 9 x 13 inch glass dish.
Sprinkle 2 cups of marshmallows on the top of the cereal mixture. Carefully pour caramel mixture over the marshmallows; refrigerate to set up. Repeat second layer of cereal mixture, using the rest of the butter, marshmallows, and cereal. Place second layer of Rice Krispies mixture on top of caramel layer; chill until firm. Makes lots.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
1. The sound of crickets on a cool summer evening, windows open of course
2. Clothes that don't have stains on them or clothes that are in style
3. Riding my bicycle downhill
4. Friends who have moved away
5. Alone time in the bathroom (w/o toddlers)
6. Family members that have passed on to heaven
7. Nursing a baby ( crazy I know)
8. feeling like I have it together
9. Swimming laps
10. Time to sit around and watch movies/ shows and not feel guilty that I'm not doing something.
11. Real pictures, not just on my digital camera
12. watering my flowers enjoying them
I think all my things I miss have to do with summer. I love spring and look forward to summer and enjoying all the things I miss.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Lindsey on the go to find eggs
Lindsey and Hayden enjoying the egg hunt
Drew was all about the eggs this year. He has been practicing lots at home with our own empty egg hunt, pick up all mommies pine cones hunt and church egg hunt. Now he is game for grandpa's 100's of eggs hunt.
Monday, April 13, 2009
The first friday in April we had a Miss Patty Cake party at church. Miss Patty is a cute video that we have. In the video she teaches kids the story of Jesus' last week as you open up plastic eggs. We made our own eggs like the video, had a snack and a little egg hunt in the church. This was a party for pre-schoolers, Lindsey was able to go as Drew is almost a pre-schooler and I planned the party with Dawn so both were able to go.
Emma and Lindsey
Some of the kids posing for the camera.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Drew is so excited about blue. That's all he wanted at first. Once he got started he was so excited. He was thrilled that I was letting him get so messy. At the end he kept asking me what was wrong with his hands. We used lots of lava soap!
Saturday, April 11, 2009
1. Easter and for our Lord who has conquered the grave for us!
2. nice break to relax with the family.
3. One of my funny friends txt messaging me on driving directions( scary I know, but I did know the answer).. I just love her.
4. All the great Easter candy.
5. Putting in 15 miles running this week.
6. Family gatherings and fun Easter egg hunts with extended family.
7. Here's some other random thankful things: Encouraging words, hugs, looking at flowers and getting ideas for planting season 2009, trusting God more than self, my new blueberry tea and great people to share a cup with, the house smelling good, the laundry finished, my sensors when full, realizing all my needs are being met, Answered prayer.
What are you thankful for?
Sunday, April 5, 2009
1. Healthy children
2. Quiet alone time
3. Running time
4. Lots of little people running like crazy in my house, I've been babysitting this week.
5. Prayer time with friends once a week and our tea time as well. See #13
6. Getting meals planned, groceries bought for the week, laundry done..... looking forward to rest tomorrow a wonderful day without the focus on work but on the kids and family time.
7. A fun preschool party at church and the cool craft my kids love.
8. My retired neighbors returning from their winter away.
9. For having fun with the kids through some crafts, making pizza, no bake cheesecake... so much fun to truly enjoy the kiddos, even if the end result is not pretty. It is beautiful in their little eyes and so much value in that.
10. For doing the right thing, for standing up for what you believe and doing what you are suppose to be doing. Even if everyone else is doing something different.
11. For Lindsey and I running together, she is such an encourager. It's fun to see what an influence our family and friends have on her.
12. I'm thankful for Easter and for Jesus. I'm thankful that we can spend time together as a family and enjoy some rest and relaxation this week. Only 3 days of school... Yeah!!!!
13 I'm thankful for hot tea. I have found it is so relaxing and look forward to my quiet time and some tea. Not everyday.... as I love the sugar in it and don't always need sugar.
14. I'm thankful that my friend Katie blessed me with a cool sea shell from the beach, some yummy salt water taffy ( I'm still jealous you went there on spring break) and for sending Drew's bubba blankie back to us.
Have a great Easter Vacation!