Thursday, January 29, 2009

Taste and see Thursday

Today is definitely a soup day. I am going to share one of my favorite and good for you soups. I just made this soup for the first time this winter. I have made it now over 7 times in like 2 months. My husband was not much of a soup person, but this winter I have made him one. He now is way burnt out on soups. As I have stated before, it's so easy and it is such a great thing to have for leftovers or for me for lunch. So this soup is my mom's recipe for vegetable beef soup. Growing up my mom was one of those super cooks, she I think fed us homemade mash potatoes like at least 2 times a week. In fact, I didn't even know there was such a thing called instant potatoes until I was a freshman at college and wondered why the cafeteria potatoes tasted so bad. As a kid, this soup was not my favorite. The reason is because it was healthy and had that beef stuff in it, I'm not a big chunk meat person.

Now in my thrifty thirties I like this soup. It's #1 good for you, #2 economical, #3 easy if you plan ahead. I picked this soup this week because I made it just yesterday for a new mommy. I also made if for an old mommy as well who had a busy week with high school games everyday this week. It was fun to do, and my husband remember from earlier didn't want the soup for his supper (I burnt him out). It's funny because another friend, Alisha (who I made this soup for her in December when she had a baby) made this soup yesterday too, so it was only fitting to post this soup for all you to have and make. This is a good soup to freeze too, and has lots of leftovers.

Vegetable Beef Soup

1 pkg Stew Meat

1pkg onion soup Mix

Cook this over night in crock pot. Fill Crock pot up with lots of water

In the morning, or whenever you want ( I have programmable crockpot)

Dump into soup pan the broth. Bring it to a boil with 2 stalks of celery chopped up how you like it, 1/2 onion, 3-5 Carrots cut up and 3-5 potatoes. Cook for like 30 minutes or until tender. Add Meat cooked. Add 1 can corn, 1 can green beans, 1 can peas ( all drained). Add 1 can tomato juice ( I use 2qts) 1 can Rotel.

Hints from Tara the not pro-

That is it folks, it's that easy. I add lots of pepper to mine because pepper is awesome. I usually add 5 carrots because I like the way it looks and tastes in my soup. I slice my carrots in thin circles. I like to chop my celery and onion up, the pampered food chopper rocks at this and is such fun to do. I like to cut my potatoes up small. I like this soup as it has so much into it... chopping, cooking overnight and the anticipation of the next morning waking up to such delightful smell, I like the whole peeling process of the foods and just everything. This is a fun soup to make. So let me know when you make it. Be sure to buy lots of crackers it's yummy in it! My family likes crackers, in fact... my kids eat soup with their crackers.. they really just like that part best.

No comments: