Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What's noble?

Okay Let's just say I'd like to be noble...


To me a noble person is reserved for some upperclass aristocrat. Not a midwest living, small town mommy of two. Well, as I decided to find out what noble means in the first place I went to the Bible first... read some 9 passages and then thought, yeah that's noble. But first you may need to know what the word means before using it in context. So that means I have to dig out my dictionary..oh boy I don't have one, but I can look it up on dictionary.com. So noble according to the website means:

Admirable in dignity, of conception manner of expression; of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence.

So there you have it... that's noble according to the dictionary.. I'm still not sure I understand. Let's dig deeper. As I pull out my NIV bible and my online bible (yes I'm loving it) I see Ruth. Ruth probably exemplifies noble character, in fact she is told that "All my fellow townsmen know that you are a woman of noble character" Ruth 3:11. I love that here Ruth is the leftover-grain-picker-upper (that's her job) yet she is known as noble, I'm sure she did her job with fervour as if serving the Lord. I wanna be like that.
The 2nd woman told in the bible that is of noble character is our well known Proverbs 31 woman. She is told in 31:29 " Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
I like the New Living Translation for that same verse it says "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!"
I still love the Proverbs 31 woman though, even if I can't measure up... who says I have to though. God only wants me to find Him, seek Him, love Him.
In Proverbs 12:4, this woman is described as being a noble woman once again and being her husband's crown. I like that she is described like Ruth, and probably brings him honor and joy.
I too, like Ruth and this Proverbs 31 woman want to honor God first. I'm so glad the our Father in heaven sees our heart... and loves us anyway.

Thank you Lord for using the simple word noble to focus more on you, to seek you and then find You. I pray that I will be Proverbs 31 woman, not seeking perfection, but finding comfort, rest and contentment in your arms. Thank you for the gift of eternal life, Thank you for your Word.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Another good devo Tara! I don't know how you find time to put down so many good thoughts, but I enjoy them!

Tara said...

Thanks emily! When the baby takes a nap... free time!