Thursday, March 26, 2009

Taste and see that the Lord is good....Thursday




Ahhh I love taste and see Thursdays.... I hope you do too. I'm excited to post ya some good ol' chocolate recipe. I am doing so as i'm going to a ladies conference on Saturday about the chocolate side of life, or something like that. I'm excited and I know those who are going are too, no we are not going to eat chocolate all day, (although that sounds appealing). So in light of my weekend without the kids on Saturday I found a oldy, and yummy recipe in my little recipe folder. I have made these in the past and it melts...... literally in your mouth. It's called Mississippi Mud Cake. I find it appropriate as I live by the Mississippi river...hee hee.


Okay so firs things first. The cake is as good as it sounds.... with it's rich, fudgy frosting poured over a layer of mini marshmallows atop a brownie-like cake, most chocoholics agree that this is sure bet to satisfying your chocolate craving.


So now don't ya wanna make it???? I know you do... or at least Elizabeth and Dawn do!


Mississippi Mud Cake

by the Gooseberry ladies


Prep time 10 minutes

Cook 40 minutes


1 1/3 c flour

1/4 t salt

2 c sugar

1/2 c baking cocoa

1 c butter, melted

4 eggs, beaten

1 t vanilla

2 c mini marshmallows

1/4 c butter or marg

1/3 c baking cocoa

2/3 cu milk

16 oz box powdered sugar, sifted


* Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add melted butter, eggs, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Spread batter into greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle hot cake with mini marshmallows.


* Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup baking cocoa and milk in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, and boil one minute. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar. Immediately pour chocolate mixture over marshmallows. Let cake cool completely on wire rack. Cut into squares.

Makes lots.



Take a shortcut!

If time is short and cravings abound, substitute a 19.8-ounce package of brownie mix for the cake batter. Prepare mix according to package directions and spoon into a 13 x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes and proceed as directed in the recipe.


FYI- to get picture perfect slices from this rich cake, cover and chill it overnight before slicing it. The hardest part about that is waiting that long for the first bite!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! You know I am going to have to try this-dang it. I was doing so good this week too. Maybe I can hold off until next.